Kitchen Progress- Almost Complete!

IMG_1939[1]

 

For the past few days Nate and I have been working like crazy on the kitchen and now we are finally able to see some fruits to our labor.

Things we’ve accomplished since Sunday:

1) Attached new hinges and hardware to cabinet doors.

2) Attached doors back on to cabinet boxes.

3) Installed new dishwasher

4) Finished installing butcher block countertops

5) Installed a new range hood

6) Installed beadboard on sink side as a backsplash.

Things still on the to do list:

1) Install beadboard behind range and ends of cabinets

2) Spackle and paint beadboard

3) Install crown molding and trim pieces

4) Paint ceiling

For now I am just happy to be able to put all of my dishes back in place and bring order back to my house after several months.

It truly is amazing how much paint can transform a room. We love looking at the progress we’ve made so far.

Our kitchen started out like this:

IMG_0661

 

IMG_1530[1]

 

And now looks like this:

IMG_1938[1]

 

IMG_1941[1]

 

So much better already! Once we have completely finished our renovation I will be going through all of my receipts in order to break down all of the costs involved in our makeover. That will be interesting for sure since I have no idea what the total cost will come out to. 🙂

Advertisements

Kitchen Update

Part one of our kitchen update: Painting Cabinets

Painting our kitchen cabinets is taking FOREVER. Seriously. FOREVER.

Take my advice. If you work full time and are thinking about painting your kitchen cabinets, do yourself a favor and do one section at a time. This allows you to see your progress and motivate you to keep going. Of course, it will be a much easier job if your cabinets aren’t covered in laminate veneer sheets that need to be removed.

Taking on the entire kitchen at once is extremely overwhelming and even disheartening at times.

Here’s a breakdown of our timeline so far:

Weekend #1- Take down all doors, remove all hardware, remove all dishes from cabinets and move into living room,dining room, and guest rooms (Your house should look like you are having an indoor garage sale).

IMG_1608[1]

Weekend #2- Start sanding, realize that sanding does nothing on the laminate veneer and start peeling the veneer sheet off instead. Realize that using a heat gun will make your life ten times easier and finish removing all veneer sheets.

IMG_1547[1]

Weekend #3- Remove veneer sheets from cabinet boxes, drawers, and sides of doors. Remove backsplash. Clean disgusting wall that was behind the backsplash.

IMG_1561[1]

Weekend #4- Sand all doors using 40 grit in order to remove all the glue from the laminate veneer. Sand inside cabinet boxes as well.

IMG_1678[1]

Weekend #5+#6- Rest and go to couples counseling 🙂

IMG_1602[1]

Weekend #7- Finally finish sanding! Final sanding included 220 grit for a smooth surface. Research primers and paints. See final decision below.

Finally start priming!!! Hallelujah!

IMG_1814[1]

IMG_1812[1]

Our primer of choice:

zinsser-1-2-3-primer1

I had briefly debated using an oil based primer like B-I-N but decided to be more “green” and since we were no longer painting over the laminate veneer I didn’t think we really needed something as strong as B-I-N. Plus it was a lot cheaper: $20 at Home Depot.

As far as paint goes, I am leaning towards using Cabinet Coat or Benjamin Moore. Anyone use either of these?

Hoping to have more progress for you in the next post. (Hopefully it won’t take us another six weeks to finish!)

Kitchen Phases

We’ve finally started on the kitchen! This weekend we finished taking the doors and hardware off and began to sand.

Our cabinets look exactly like the cabinets in this blog:

http://cutejunkivemade.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-paint-laminate-cabinets-part-two.html

As I was sanding the very first door, we realized that the sanding was not having much effect on the laminate. I changed to a lower grit and kept right on sanding. Then a funny thing happened. I noticed the corner of the laminate starting to peel up, so I gave it a tug and the entire laminate sheet peeled off to reveal actual wood underneath.

IMG_1549[1]

 

Here I am holding up that fateful piece of laminate.

From there we tried to continue removing the laminate from the remaining doors. Of course it was absolutely impossible to do. Then we realized that the solution was heat. Obviously, the continuous sanding on the first door had warmed up the glue enough to release the laminate. From there we used a heat gun and the laminate sheets came off like butter.

IMG_1558[1]

 

Here’s Nate demonstrating our technique for removing the laminate strips.

IMG_1553[1]

 

We have been removing a little each night after work. We are hoping to have all of the laminate removed by this weekend so that we can spend some time patching holes and sanding.

IMG_1554[1]

 

Here’s an up close look at a cabinet that has half of the laminate stripped. (Please ignore the mess inside!)

So that’s the kitchen progress so far.

I am hoping to complete our kitchen face lift in three phases:

Phase #1- Paint cabinets and replace hardware.

Phase #2- Replace counter top and backsplash.

Phase #3- Finishing touches, flooring options to cover hideous tile, replace appliances (dishwasher, stove, and microwave)