We’ve finally started on the kitchen! This weekend we finished taking the doors and hardware off and began to sand.
Our cabinets look exactly like the cabinets in this blog:
As I was sanding the very first door, we realized that the sanding was not having much effect on the laminate. I changed to a lower grit and kept right on sanding. Then a funny thing happened. I noticed the corner of the laminate starting to peel up, so I gave it a tug and the entire laminate sheet peeled off to reveal actual wood underneath.
Here I am holding up that fateful piece of laminate.
From there we tried to continue removing the laminate from the remaining doors. Of course it was absolutely impossible to do. Then we realized that the solution was heat. Obviously, the continuous sanding on the first door had warmed up the glue enough to release the laminate. From there we used a heat gun and the laminate sheets came off like butter.
Here’s Nate demonstrating our technique for removing the laminate strips.
We have been removing a little each night after work. We are hoping to have all of the laminate removed by this weekend so that we can spend some time patching holes and sanding.
Here’s an up close look at a cabinet that has half of the laminate stripped. (Please ignore the mess inside!)
So that’s the kitchen progress so far.
I am hoping to complete our kitchen face lift in three phases:
Phase #1- Paint cabinets and replace hardware.
Phase #2- Replace counter top and backsplash.
Phase #3- Finishing touches, flooring options to cover hideous tile, replace appliances (dishwasher, stove, and microwave)